Caring For Your Jewellery
We design all our jewellery to be worn and treasured. Our beautiful jewellery does need to be looked after and loves a bit of TLC. To keep your jewellery looking its best here are a few simple guidelines:
- - Perfume, skin and hair products can all react with silver causing it to tarnish, cause vermeil to erode and even damage stones – especially pearls. Always apply your products before putting on your jewellery and leave for a few minutes to be absorbed by the skin. Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray directly onto your jewellery as this can damage it.
- - Our vermeil is a layer of fine 18ct gold, plated on top of silver. As this is just a layer it can gradually wear, giving the appearance that it has faded. Every day wear may speed up this process, especially on items like rings and bracelets which have lots of contact knocking against objects. We offer a re-plating service for our vermeil jewellery.
- - Please treat your jewellery with care – remove when doing physical work, playing sports etc. Hot weather and sweat can also speed up the tarnishing process. Jewellery should always be removed before swimming and bathing. At night store your pieces in their box or a jewellery box.
- - A silver-dip solution is the best way to clean both your silver and vermeil jewellery and is available in store. Dip your jewellery in the solution for a couple of seconds only and then rinse thoroughly in warm soapy water. For more stubborn dirt use the little soft brush supplied with our dip to gently rub away and then rinse well.
- - Soft stones such as pearls and turquoise may react to the silver dip solution so use a specialist pearl cleaner or give them a rub with a soft cloth.
- - We recommend re-stringing pearls and other threaded jewellery every 1-3 years, depending on how often you wear the item and how it is cared for.
Once your Dower & Hall 1 year guarantee has passed we’re still here to help you keep your Dower & Hall jewels in perfect condition with our 5-star TLC service, whether they need a quick repair or a little spring clean. Our TLC service ensures that every item that comes into our London studio for repair leaves us in a near-new condition ready for you to wear again. Please contact us for more information.